Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bread pudding

FOUND IT: At the NY Times' Bitten blog, which, as I've previously mentioned, is my favorite place to go to find new things to try.

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons butter
6 cups white bread, cut or torn into 1-inch chunks (Be picky about the bread - bread that's too heavy will ruin it.)
2 cups half-and-half (I use skim milk)
4 eggs
3/4 cup maple syrup or sugar (Splenda works here, knocking off about 500 calories)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch salt (I omit this)
(I add about half a cup of chocolate chips, which puts the calories back in from before, but the chocolate adds a lot)

Butter an 8-inch souffle or baking dish, and add bread. Cut remaining butter into bits, and combine with all other ingredients; pour over bread. Submerge bread with weighted plate, and turn oven to 350 degrees.

When oven is hot, remove the plate and bake until pudding is just set, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve with or without whipped cream.

No comments: