Thursday, February 11, 2010

Round Steak Pinwheels

FOUND IT: I think the initial idea came from a 30 Minute Meals episode. I didn't write down a recipe, I just used the concept to create my own spin on it.

We don't eat a lot of steak in my house, for a couple of reasons: it's expensive, and my wife isn't a big fan. I like this recipe, though, and round steak isn't usually terribly expensive, so I make it from time to time.

Ingredients:
  • 1 round steak, pounded thin and either quartered or cut into six longish strips, depending on whether you want large or small servings.
  • Fresh spinach (roughly half of the bag of it you can get at the store)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Sliced cheese (pick a favorite here. I've used cheddar, co-jack, swiss, muenster...all work)
  • Salt and pepper (or your favorite steak seasonings)
  • Soy sauce, to taste
In a medium skillet, heat the oil and add the spinach, sauteing until wilted. It won't take long.

Then, lay your steaks out on a work surface, and season as desired. Place half a slice of cheese on the steak, then a layer of spinach. Roll up the steak and secure with a toothpick. Place the finished rollups in an 8x8 baking dish, and add a little soy sauce to them.

Bake at 550 (yes, 550) for 20 minutes or until they've hit your desired level of doneness. Let them rest for a few minutes before cutting into them.

No comments: