Sunday, July 11, 2010

Asparagus Quiche

FOUND IT: At Cooks.com
MODIFIED IT: A fair amount.

I'm on a quiche kick lately and had some asparagus to use up. This must have been ok: Four of us ate all but one slice in one sitting.

Ingredients:

Six eggs
1/2 lb fresh asparagus cut in 1 inch pieces (I used closer to 3/4 lb.)
1 cup shredded cheese, divided (recipe called for Swiss, I used cheddar jack)
1 unbaked premade pie crust*
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbsp onion powder (I substituted Penzey's Fox Point Seasoning)
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste

* - I've tried several recipes for making my own pie crust. Homemade pie crust is fine but in the end I've decided it's one of those things that's just not worth the time. A premade pie crust is quick, easy and the difference isn't huge.

Preheat oven to 375, with a cookie sheet in it.

Cook asparagus via your preferred method. (Original recipe called for boiling, but I steamed instead.) Arrange asparagus and half the cheese in the bottom of the pie crust. Combine eggs, milk, sour cream, onion powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl, then pour over asparagus and cheese.

Put the quiche on the cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes. Then, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and continue baking until quiche is set in the middle, roughly 5-10 minutes more.


No comments: