MODIFIED IT: Only to change the blend of cheeses a bit.
There's really no such thing as a healthy mac and cheese. By nature, it's a combination of carbs and fat. That's why it's delicious. With that said, this one isn't as unhealthy as most of the others.
- 8 ounces uncooked macaroni
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 10 ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 14 ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3 1/2 cups shredded Fontina cheese (about 12-16 ounces)*
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
* - I only had half a pound of Fontina, so I supplemented it with some Muenster and some sharp cheddar.
Boil pasta as usual. Drain and set aside.
While the pasta is boiling, whisk together the milk, flour, salt and pepper. Once that's combined, stir in the pasta, spinach, artichokes and cheese. Stir until blended, then pour the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. Combine the parmesan and bread crumbs, and sprinkle them on top. Drizzle the melted butter over the top.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.