I did my best to make this a little healthier, and served it to rave reviews.
- One pound boneless chicken breasts or thighs.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms (I used white), chopped small
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (I use reduced sodium)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Two cups steamed broccoli (optional)
- About two cups cooked brown rice.
In a bowl combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes, then pour this over the chicken and stir. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, then stir in the cashews and serve with the broccoli and rice.