Sunday, December 27, 2009

Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup

FOUND IT: My mother-in-law lent me The Soup Bible. I didn't end up making many recipes out of it, but this is a good one.

With that said, this is a somewhat thin soup when it's done. At the very least, you'll want to add some oyster crackers or something similar for texture. I went a step farther and added a 16 oz package of mini gnocchi.

Later, I also added a red bell pepper after seeing Sunny Anderson use it in a similar recipe on her show. I didn't notice a big difference, but my wife seemed to think it made the soup better.

Ingredients:

  • 3 lbs ripe roma tomatoes, quartered and seeded (recipe calls for them to be peeled, but I don't.)
  • 2 red bell peppers, cut into quarters or so with seeds removed
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil or butter
  • 1 leek, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 5 cups of chicken stock
  • 4 oz blue cheese, crumbled (I double this)
  • 3 tbsp heavy cream (I skip this if I don't have it on hand)
  • Several large fresh basil leaves (dried works too)
  • 6 oz cooked, crumbled bacon for garnish (More bacon will never draw a complaint)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 16 oz package of mini gnocchi
Spread the tomatoes and bell peppers in a 9x13 pan, then sprinkle them with the garlic and some salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

After they've been in for about 20 minutes, heat the butter or oil in a soup pot (I use my dutch oven for half batches). Add the leek and carrot, and some more salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until they're tender or the tomatoes are done.

Add the tomatoes and peppers and stock to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the blue cheese, cream (if using), and basil. Once the cheese has melted, you can either transfer it to a blender/food processor to puree, or use an immersion blender to puree in the pot. If you have to remove it from the pot to puree, return it to the pot to reheat to serving temperature.

(If you're using the gnocchi, add them here and let simmer for roughly 5-8 minutes or until gnocchi are done.)

Garnish with bacon and/or a sprig of fresh herbs.

No comments: