Friday, December 25, 2009

Easy Enchiladas

FOUND IT: Trenni Kusnierek of MLB Network was kind enough to share it with me.

This is a great, flexible enchilada recipe with a quick, easy list of ingredients. It calls for chicken, but I replaced it with half ground venison/half black beans, and that seemed to work out well.

I also used hot picante sauce (and a little too much of it), and the result was a meal that I thought was great but made smoke come out of my wife's ears. If you're not a fan of spicy food, stick to mild/medium.

Ingredients:
  • 1 10 3/4 oz of cream of chicken soup, preferably the fat-free kind
  • 1/2 cup of sour cream
  • 1 cup picante sauce
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 cup Monterrey jack cheese (I used a mexican blend)
  • Additional cheese for on top, if desired
  • 6-8 flour tortillas, warmed
  • 2 cups of shredded chicken (or 1 cup of ground beef/venison and 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed)
Brown meat, if you haven't already.

In a bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, picante sauce and chili powder. Take one cup of this mixture, and combine it in another bowl with the cheese, meat and beans (if using).

Lightly grease a 9x9 baking dish (they'll fit tightly, but it should work). Spoon some filling into a tortilla, roll it up and place it seam-side-down in the dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Once all the tortillas are in the dish, pour the remaining soup mixture over the top.

Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes at 350. If you're adding cheese, remove the foil at this point, put the cheese on top and bake for another 5-7 minutes. Give them a few minutes to cool before serving.

2 comments:

30NFK said...

Yum, I use this same recipe and I agree, it's pretty easy (and I'm kind of cooking challenged) and delicious! I have used chicken, and the cheese on top is yummy and makes it look a little more appealing. I also drain a can of Rotel to sprinkle on top of the cheese (the recipe I had called for a diced tomato and green onion on top but I was too lazy for that...). I also just use whatever salsa I have on hand instead of picante sauce. Now I am hungry...

Kyle Lobner said...

It's always great to have a recipe that's easy and flexible. Thanks for the comment!

And, of course, if you're hungry, there are other recipes here... :)