Until I made this one, I thought there was only two ways to make mac and cheese: on the stove or in the oven. This one creates a third option - in the crock pot. The volume of pasta would suggest a small recipe, but this filled my small crock pot, and easily serves 4.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (slightly more than half of a 1 lb box).
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes.
- 10 ounces grated sharp Cheddar
- 3 eggs, beaten (less if you don't want them)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk (I used skim)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
(The recipe calls for 3 hours, but make sure it doesn't get dry and add liquid if you need to. When I made it, it was really good at 2 hours, and not as good at 3.)