Roasting pumpkin seeds is a nice bonus when cooking down dozens of pumpkins, as I plan on doing this year. I usually double the recipe, as I'm usually cooking at least two pumpkins at a time.
- Seeds from one medium pumpkin (roughly 1 cup)
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil (I use olive oil)
In a medium bowl combine 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne. Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add pumpkin seeds and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Cook until sugar melts and pumpkin seeds begin to caramelize, about 45 to 60 seconds. Transfer to bowl with spices, and stir well to coat. Let cool. These may be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week. They'll never last that long.